Thursday 23 January 2014

Permanecemos Unidos...

In one week, hubby, my family and a few other members of our church will be heading to Guatemala for our church's 2014 Mission Trip. I had the opportunity to go on the 2012 trip, just after hubby and I got engaged. It was life changing, and one of the most incredible trips I've ever been on.

I can't even begin to describe the impact the trip had on me, or the way it affected me. It's hard to put words into an experience where the range of emotions were all over the place.

The people there are so incredibly loving, giving and full of hope and faith. The children trust without having to know who you are or where you're from.

When you walk into a school, a church yard, or anywhere there are children, the first thing they do is run to give you a hug. They simply just want to be loved by and play with the kind strangers who have taken the time to visit them.

Oh, and then there is the history. Not the bloody, war-driven history that still leaves them scarred today -- that's why we are down there, to show them love and mercy and help those that are suffering from it. But the ancient history -- the ruins and the still standing buildings, left from the Mayans and the Spanish Inquisition. I kind of go crazy about those kinds of things. I'm one of those weird people who absolutely loves old architecture.

The country itself is also one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Mountains and volcanoes everywhere, and everything is so green, so incredible. Seeing it all up close takes your breath away. The waters are all so pretty, and looking at the volcanoes, with the agriculture and foliage growing up the sides make it hard to remember the violence and destruction they are capable of causing. 

And last, but possibly the most important thing that I love, is that we are down there doing what Jesus called us to do. Not condemning, not judging, not forcing change -- but helping the poor, loving on them and finding ways to encourage them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!