Sunday 24 November 2013

Say what you will, Madonna is empowering...

I've been watching Glee lately, and an episode came on about Madonna, and the reason they were choosing to honour her because of the sense of empowerment she gives.

Say what you will about her morality, her sanity and anything else, but the show had a point. Madonna's music inspires confidence and beauty. It makes you feel like you have value, like you are worth something.

Madonna has set the standard for so many different things in the music industry. She continuously reinvented herself because she could, because that's who she is. Wild, spontaneous and accepting of herself as she is. 

When I think back to the iconic songs that have really moved me, that have impacted me, and that I fall back to, I can easily say that the majority are in fact Madonna songs.

I can remember after my first real break-up, while Sheryl Crow and Three Days Grace were my cry my eyes out songs, Frozen by Madonna was the song that would remind me that someday, my heart might love again. 

Whenever things get really bad, Like a Prayer is the song that picks me back up and keeps me hanging on. 

But, if I could pick one song, one song to be my soundtrack, I can truthfully say that Jump is the song that empowers me. It's the song that has always and will always remind me that if I don't take a leap of faith, if I don't try, then I'll never actually go anywhere. 

I blast the song before every interview, I blast it when I start to forget who I am. It reminds me who I am, it grounds me, and it reminds me that I have plenty to be confident about. 

So Madonna, thank you. Thank you for giving the music that would be the soundtrack to many of our lives and push us forward. I may prefer Indie Rock and Alt Rock, but your music will always be the stuff that pushes me forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!