Monday 14 October 2013

Sugar cookies *almost* fail!

This year was the first year I was expected to bring stuff to our family Thanksgiving dinner. Being married now means of course contributing because I can't claim that I'm broke and mom and dad have to pay for everything anyways for me.

My contributions were to be pretty simple. A veggie platter (which I am magnificent at making) and pumpkin pie. I was a little torn about the pumpkin pie. I wanted to try making one, but I am terrible at baking and have never baked a pie in my life. I couldn't find any of the pre-made shells anywhere and I didn't want to butcher the pie for Thanksgiving, so I decided to buy one and bake cookies instead. 

The plan was to make little pumpkins with carved faces on them, but apparently the icing decorating tips they sell beside the tubes of icing are not the right sized ones, so I had to settle for just orange pumpkins.


Apparently, I have problems with even the simplest of baking. I decided to go with sugar cookies because they are the easiest to make. Of course easy for me means three and a half hours later. 


The first batch, I burnt. Apparently, my oven is hotter than what the one used in the recipe is, and so I couldn't use those ones for other people.

They weren't absolutely terrible, but I didn't feel right giving them to my landlords or our family. So I went ahead and made another batch. 

The second problem was I don't have a rolling pin. Something I should have thought of before I started making cookies, but I didn't think of it until after the dough was on the waxed paper and I was trying to figure out how to flatten it. So I grabbed a giant, somewhat round glass pasta jar and used that.

It worked pretty well, though I still had to pound out the ridges it made.

The cookie cutter worked awesome, and an hour and a half later I was ready to start icing them. I accidentally made brown icing instead of orange, so I had to throw out the first batch and start all over again.

Eventually, I got them all iced with the right colour icing and left them all out so the icing sugar could harden.

The result was these okay looking cookies. They're not brilliant, but hey, they turned out and people thought they tasted good! And that's what counts right?


2 comments:

  1. I am no good at cookies. And my husband loves them, so I feel guilty. The hardest part for me is knowing when to take them out of the oven....they either come out too gooey or burnt. ACK!

    Your's look great! Despite my difficulties, I can't wait to try cutouts. Decorating them sounds like something fun to do with Andrew. And I predict some pretty wacky decorated cookies, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good to me! My oven is hotter than normal too so I never preheat and always take a few minutes off the instructions. I suck at cooking but like to bake. xx

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!